Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Today’s Special: Loscil



I’m the sort of guy who likes to augment my moods with music. Like so many, I’ll crank the wattage while driving or on a Friday night after work as a release and hopefully an anthem to something bigger and more exciting to come. But I also like to take it down five notches sometimes. I picked up one of those sound looping bedside devices to help my sleep a while back. There’s nothing like the sound of water lapping a beach or a the bird in the rainforest to set your mind adrift during cold Canadian winters. In my waking hours, I often listen to ambient music, especially when I’m working and need to concentrate. If there are few BPM’s (beats per minute) or non at all and the music’s emotive, then I find I work interrupted and contently. Like a good work of fiction, a good piece of ambient music can conjure images and moods that are all your own. That’s the kind of feeling I get when I listen to the Vancouver musician by the name of Loscil. Whether it’s an underwater dream where I float amongst the iridescent coral or the conjuring of an image of a train lazily chugging forward into the night, Scott Morgan’s music lets you become part of the music. And if music without lyrics just doesn’t do it for you, then you might want to check his blog for new music he’s doing with Destroyer.

2 comments:

  1. Kranky has issued consistently solid music for what, 12 or 15 years now. Are there many Vancouver area artists on their roster?
    Like the blog-
    DJF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post DJF. I don't believe there are any other Vancouver residents curruntly on the label. Tim Hecker was living in Montreal for a while. Besides Hecker, I'm a big fan of Jonas Reighardt. Loscil has a new record coming out early next year. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete